Feb 10, 2009

Market down for the count!

Okay maybe not the count, but it's definitely on the mat searching for it's mouthpiece. The story will undoubtedly be "Geithener's plan sends market into swoon." But the truth is that about 5-6 sessions ago institutional traders (and probably some heavy heavy retailers) slowly but surely began pumping and priming the market towards it's current slightly elevated state, knowing FULL well that whatever Geithner presented would be flawed (hint: any plan is flawed) and that the market would selloff in fear. I imagaine the perks of running a trading desk is over time you have huge opportunities to move the market up and down in your favor, the bad thing about being a retail trader (like myself) is that essentially you have to try and game these guys by staying one step ahead or eating of their plates. Either one works!

Luckily, I've been through these precipitous drops twice now, and I'm more comfortable in gaming them. If I've said it once, I've said it once...gotta love shorts.