Mar 11, 2010

Gov. Wendell Anderson


I met this guy today! Wendell Anderson The former Governor and Senator of my illustrious state of Minnesota. He's a member at my athletic club and I thought the colleague that introduced was joking when he said he was the former governor. Governor Anderson laughed when I told him I was an 80's baby and my gubernatorial history started with Rudy Perpich. His resume was pretty impressive, he played in the 1956 Winter Olympics, played hockey at the U and served a stinted term in the senate, replacing Walter Mondale in 1976 when he won the Vice Presidency on the Carter ticket.

For 77 this guy is in amazing shape, I thought he was 65-70 at the oldest. I fairly wonky and was embarrassed to find out a former governor was standing in front of me and I didn't know it. Anyways, he was pretty cool, told some great stories, got in nice and close and made me feel incredibly comfortable...in other words he was a natural pol.

Pretty cool experience at least for me. I can't wait to chop it up with him about his feelings on the current state and national political milieu.

And yes he's DFL...no doubt.