May 13, 2009

The Best 6 Minutes

I wasn't a huge fan of Six Feet Under only joining during the last season when it began preceding The Wire. That said, their last season in 2004-2005 was pretty awesome, and while there were some things I could have done without I have to say HBO got it right with this one. I just came across the last 6 minutes of the series finale on youtube. I remember watching it and thinking "live every moment" because it all goes so fast. It did a really good job helping me look at my life from the end back. What will my sons be at 40? How many grandkids will I have? Will I be healthy? Does my wife precede me in death? And more generally what does our world look like?

The song is by Sia and the writers did a great job weaving her lyrics with the action on screen. Check it out. By my estimation it's still the best six minutes of television ever.