Nov 10, 2008

The Triangle and The 50 State Strategy


I've heard so much about the vaunted 50 State Strategy that Howard Dean and the DNC put in place to help carry the House, Senate and Presidency this past election, and while I like Dean and believe credit is due, I can't help but compare the talk of strategic success to the Triangle Offense that Phil Jackson in 9 championships in Chicago and LA.

There's one thing though, I think Phil Jackson, and his analgous counterpart Howard Dean, are getting way too much credit. If not for Michael Jordan in Chicago and the Kobester in LA, the Triangle would be just another offense. My beloved T-Wolves could institute and run the Triangle to perfection and still be doormats for the rest of the league. Conversely, they could (and could have) picked up Kobe and would instantly be considered a top tier team, sans Triangle.

It may be clumsy, but the point I'm trying to make is that the 50 State Strategy worked because President-Elect Obama was able to excite, moblizie and reassure citizens in those 50 states the same way MJ was able to elevate and knock down crucial jumpshots in Game 7's.

I'm willing to bet that the 50 State Strategy wouldn't have had the same results if I was starting in place of Kobe.