Apr 10, 2009

Drunk Drivers Are Pretty Douchey

By now you've heard the story of Nick Adenhart, the upstart 22 year old pitcher for the LA Angels, who today undoubtedly lays cold on a slab in LA County due to his untimely death at the hands of a suspected drunk driver.

I try to refrain from showing much anger on this blog, because as a general rule I recognize that nothing much goods comes from being angry, at least for me. But everytime I hear a story of some innocent person dying at the hands of a drunk driver or serial texter or any other idiot who thinks they can pilot a two ton vehicle at speeds in excess of 50mph without complete focus it seriously upsets me.

While I don't forgive serial texters or the other idiots (makeup, fussing with children, etc) there dereliction and negligence is somewhat easier to understand if you assume they didn't start out driving with those impairments. But a drunk. A person who thinks it's cool to go get loaded and then drive knows EXACTLY what they're doing. Exactly. They know they're impaired, as they've undoubtedly been before. They know they shouldn't be driving, as they've undoubtedly done before. And they know that drunk drivers kill people, as they've undoubtedly seen before. But in spite of all of that they drive anyway. In college a friend suggested that my animus towards drunk drivers was guided largely by the fact that I don't drink. I don't know if that is totally true, I have many many friends that drink and some family members too (I suspect), for me the animus comes from drunks crapping in the face of a very simple risk/reward proposition.

Proposition - Don't drive drunk like a little punk would do.

Risk - I have to walk home or call my girl or buddy to come pick me up or call a cab .

Reward - NOBODY DIES AT MY HANDS TONIGHT

As a trader I've trained myself to recognize advantageous risk reward propositions, this one seems to have massive upside and little to no, and by no I literally mean zero, downside. I would take this trade...if I were a drunk douche.

Why any punk takes the other side of this trade is beyond me, I guess they have a burning desire to kill fiances, sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, best friends, buddies, girlfriends and boyfriends. I guess in some drunk bizarro world killing these people is considered cool...I guess.