Apr 13, 2009

Yar Matey

I was overjoyed Sunday morning to hear that Richard Phillips the Captain of the Maersk ship that encountered pirates late last week had been rescued. His continuous attempts to escape on his own let me know last week that dude was a fighter and with the NAVY moving in I knew this was going to come to a resolution soon.

I'm a little disheartened though by the woeful display of ignorance, war baiting and politicization of this pirate fracas by some. Ignorance in that the pirates clearly are not terrorist. That is they are taking booty and kidnapping for ransom. Not blowing themselves up or plotting to kill citizens in the name of a deity or nationalism. War baiting in that there is absolutely NO REASON to declare WAR on Somalia, unless that is you're simply a bloodthirsty talking head whose fake I'm-a-tough-guy-and-I-bleed-red-white-and-blue identity rests with other people's families and friends actually doing the bleeding. Politicization in that this pirate dust up in no way buttresses the argument for the same old defense spending playbook, if anything it actually speaks to reassessing the way we 'do business.'