Apr 4, 2009

Final Four Analysis

Michigan State: My brother played in the Big Ten (All Conference Twice) and as such I got a front row view of Raymar Morgan thrice as a freshman. I was very impressed. He came off of pin downs like a pro, had great form on his jumper, could post you, handle and play above the rim. I thought at the time he'd be gone after his sophomore year. I was wrong. In the two subsequent years, I think it's safe to assume Morgan has not lived up to Sparty's expectations. Unfortunately the only way they beat UConn today is if he does. Summers, Allen and Roe are too inexperienced to get it done and Kalin Lucas is good, but not good enough to beat that team by himself.

UConn: When Dyson went out, I thought there was no way UConn was gonna get to the Final Four. AJ Price proved me wrong. This guy has stepped up his game big time and I actually think he is the best point guard in the Final Four (sorry Lawson). This guy has great size, speed and when he's nailing threes forget about it. Thabeet, Adrien and Robinson will be an athletic load up front and I expect them to handle Sparty and give UNC all they can handle in the championship. A championship game b/t UConn and UNC with Dyson would have been awesome. That way Dyson could have completely embarassed the overrated guard aka Wayne Ellington.

UNC: I like Ty Lawson and I like UNC's depth. I think they will beat Villanova but they will get all they can handle from the scappy Cats. I'm always amazed at how Roy Williams is able to get 7-8 All America caliber players to play together. While Lawson is a load offensively I actually think Danny Green will be the key for them coming out of this weekend with a championship. He's actually their 3rd best player (behind Lawson/Hansborough) but their most versatile scorer.

Nova: Scottie Reynolds will give UNC all they can handle. Unfortunately they just lack the size and their perimeter scorers (sans Reynolds) aren't of sufficient quality to put consistent pressure on UNC for 40 minutes. People have compared this team to their 2005 Sweet 16 team that included Randy Foye, Allan Ray and Kyle Lowry but they're not. Allan Ray was a knock down jump shooter and Foye and Lowry could keep anyone on their heels. That is how they were able to stay with Carolina back in 2005 (they actually won, but the ref called a bogus travel instead of foul on Melvin Scott, but I digress.)

I've got Carolina and UConn advancing from tonight with UNC winning Monday night. But it should be a quality Saturday of basketball. As a former player you can always appreciate this event because next to playing in the league it's every schoolboy's dream to play in this event.